Subject: Re: [Leica] Jobo and wash aids
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:51:12 -0400

Nathan-
The washing aid is actually a misnomer- It's used AFTER washing, and in a
sense is more a drying aid! I used to mix Photo-Flo at half the recommended
rate, and as I stripped the film from the reels, after washing, simply
dipped one end of the film in the open tank of Photo-Flo solution, pulled
the film through and out of the solution in one sweep- the film staying
under just long enough to 'wet' it and then hang it to dry... You just need
to 'wet' the surface so the water doesn't bead and cause marks where the
beads evaporate. If you do feel you have to wipe the film, use a damp
cellulose sponge that is used for no other purpose, and wipe only the base
side tof the film!
In our lab, the rollers that guide the film out of the drier have to be
washed nearly every night as even after the film dries, it leaves a quantity
of our final stabilizer, which is a preservative with a wetting agent on the
rollers, and these can leave smudges on the film! The build up is very real
( though I think a good wash in a soapy ammonia solution will remove any
trace)
Dan