Subject: Re: [Leica] I'm baffled
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:56:12 +0200

Jim,

I agree to a large extent with your bafflement. I still remember the
amazement I felt in April 98 when I looked at my first Leica slides on
the light table, taken with the 35mm Summicron. Indeed the lenses are
the principal reason for my switch to Leica, and I will happily put my
Summicron on some future non-Leica body but not the other way around.

However, I see two reasons for buying non-Leica lenses:

1) The focal length is not made by Leica. This is why I just ordered the
15mm Heliar.
2) Cost differences for rarely used focal length. Let's say that you are
a telephoto kind of guy and shoot all of your pictures with lenses 50mm
and up. Let's say that you want a 28mm lens for the rare occasion where
a wide angle is appropriate for your photography. You know that these
occasions are rare, and since you have a limited budget, you buy the
Ricoh GR lens. Because you will not be using it much you do not want to
spend a lot, and the small size also attracts you.

So, while I would also be baffled to see someone buy an M6 and put a
non-Leica lens on it for their primary photography, I can imagine a
scenario where you do it with a rarely-used focal length.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

> Then, some manufacturer (like Ricoh, Cosina, Voigtlander, Tokina...),
> produces a lens that fits Leica cameras. Many LUGgers go GAGA! When
> will they be available, where can I buy them, etc...
>
> WHY?????

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium