Subject: Re: [Leica] NYC Leica source for Leica-Newbie?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:44:02 +0200

Skip,

Since you live 25 miles from Manhattan, the NYC stores ARE your local
stores. I have experience with B&H, Smile, Adorama, 47th St., Cambridge
and Focus. Avoid the last two like the plague; of the first four, B&H is
the best. Smile is good too but I do not believe that they have much
Leica stuff.

I too like to patronize really local stores, but there really are not
that many good shops in New Jersey. I lived in Lawrenceville from 1990
to 1995 and did once buy a Hasselblad locally. But for most other major
purchases, buying locally was simply not an option. Back in those days,
I was able to avoid the sales tax by having the goods shipped to NJ;
perhaps this route has since been closed or restricted.

Nathan

Skip Williams wrote:

>  The problem is that I DO live so close to Manhattan that the NYC
> stores overshadow most local stores.  When I lived in Atlanta years
> ago, I always patronized local stores for at least a majority of my
> equipment.  I believe in having local business relationships.  Alas,
> there are no stores that would have the used and new selection of
> Leicas in NJ that I could go to, unless someone knows of one.
>
> As for the NYC taxes, it's a fact of life and one that you either deal
> with or order somewhere else.  You can't even get around it by having
> shipments made after you leave the store, as the NY and NJ tax guys
> talk a lot.  I've gotten sales tax bills months after a sale from the
> State of NJ for stuff that I bought either mail order or bought in NYC
> but shipped home.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the comments
>
> Skip

- --