Subject: Re: [Leica] Xtol long
From: "Glen M. Robinson" <gmrobinson@imation.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:16:55 -0500

Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> on 05/16/99 04:11:20 PM

Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

To:   leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
cc:    (bcc: Glen M. Robinson/DSP/Imation)

Watch the expiration on that Xtol!  I had read that it sometimes suddenly
expires with no warning but I'd never had any problems and I've been using
it since it first came out.  I had a little bit left of a gallon that
shouldn't have expired until September so I used it for six rolls of Tri-X
that I took in London anhartres last week.  It had expired!!   Very
faint negatives that I tried intensifying with no luck.  Made me sick!
Next time I'll test it or toss it!

Leically,

Tina Manley, ASMP

I started a series of exchanges in this group about this subject a few months
ago when my several months old batch of XTOL suddenly failed without any warning
to develop images.  Fortunately all my films were optical micrographs which
could be reshot, not like Tina's mentioned pictures.  I hurt for her.  Many
people responded to my initial posting stating they had had similar experiences.
I still use XTOL for microscopy purposes, but no longer for personal pictures.
It is a wonderful developer when it works, but it has a dangerous side.

One respondent suggested developing the film leader with the batch of XTOL to be
used before committing the rest of the film containing the images to this
developer.  That is excellent advice.

Glen Robinson