Subject: [Leica] More than a loupe, less than a 'scope
From: Austin Burbridge <LIGHTandPOWER@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 16:06:37 -0700

Please forgive the slightly off-topic subject; I can't think of a group
better-qualified than LUG to comment!

I frequent galleries and museums, to look at paintings. I long for some
kind of glass to inspect the surface and details. A loupe would not be
suitable since it requires getting close, which is impracticable, either
because the paintings are very big or because it would worry guards that
the surface might be touched.

Ordinary telescopes/monoculars/binoculars have a too-long minimum focus,
and a rather narrow field.

So far I've identified only two devices, both of them monoculars from
Edmund Scientific, which focus to less than 1m. They seem designed for
surgeons, and might be OK. But I don't know whether there be any suitable
alternatives.

Color correction would be pretty important for this application.

Any suggestions?