Subject: Re: [Leica] BOOWU-M copy stand
From: Edward Kowaleski <edwardkg@umd.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:53:25 -0400 (EDT)

> Alex wrote,
> >What intrigues me further is that you would have thought the M version of
> this device would accept modern rigid M lenses without a problem.
>

> Well yes but it doesn't because they made it so it accepts the inner
> barrel of the lens not the bayonet. The inner barrel of the earlier
> collapsible 50s is what attaches to the BOOWU-M. The early 50s have inner
> barrels that unscrew from the focussing mount and attach to the BOOWU
> with an adapter that presumably looks like the inner bayonet thing on the
> collapsibles. The later 50s will also in most cases have optical units
> that unscrew from the focussing mount but they are not supposed to - or
> rather you the careful owner are not supposed to dismantle them thus. All
> this I know from bitter experience!
>
> Bests
>
> Adrian
>
> Adrian Bradshaw

If I remember correctly the BOOWU was designed for LTM 50mm lenses and if
one used a bayonet lens there was some interference with the camera body.
The BOWUM was designed for use with certain bayonet lenses including the
50mm Summicron sold just prior to the current version, i.e., a lens
without the built-in lens hood.  The lens head could be unscrewed from the
body (by design!) and screwed into a 16508Y adapter that permitted
mounting to the various BOWUM spacers.  Ed Kowaleski