Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Burn. Need Sunblock?
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:06:08 +0100

Dan, Paul,
Yes I do have first hand experience of burning a hole in my leica
shutter!
I had set up a 400mm lens on a reflex housing and was looking at a
cloudy
rooftop skyscape, the sun kept bouncing in and out of the clouds and I
waited
for the right moment of seeing something, but not too much of the sun.
I had framed the shot on a tripod so locked it off and raised the mirror
ready
to click at the best moment, then I was called away (while there was
still cloud
cover), and returned later to take some average pics. I was still a
student at
the time.
Upon developing the film I saw some unrecognisable dark smudges on the
negatives, worse, they seemed to smear across the frame lines, "What
could that
be?" I thought to myself...
Answer: a 4mm (or so) hole in the shutter curtain when I examined the
camera!
The sun had obviously come out while I was away and burnt the hole then.
couldn't afford a proper replacement repair at the time so I patched it
up with
aluminium foil and masking tape, worked fine for the rest of the years I
owned
the camera.

I don't think that normal useage will burn a hole in your shutter, you
need to
be pretty stupid to do this trick!

Jem