Subject: RE: [Leica] 24mm viewfinder
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:21:42 EDT

It is possible to mask off the 21 finder to cover only the 24 angle of view.
To make a specific mask would not be cost effective, particularly as it would
involve some kind of attachment system and/or modification to the existing
finder housing. Years ago I lost my 28 finder and was stuck with only the 21,
the solution to that specific problem was to cut a mask from a graphic arts
film
 ( Rubylith for those of us who used to cut and paste before computers made
it obsolete) and I stuck it to the front of the finder glass. Using the 28 I
simply used the clear area, using the 21 I used the clear and the red masked
area. Not perfect but it worked! Today I would probably use a yellow or very
light orange shade of acetate and cut the mask from that. The Rubylith always
had me squinting through the red area. trying to figure out what was there.
 Leica is working on a finder, incorporating 21/24  and 28 and if they can
get it done, it would solve the problem nicely. I would hope it has a
switchable frame system in it. I would not like a triple framed finder - too
many lines. On the other hand, it will not be a cheap finder, so the acetate
solution is probably more reasonable.
 I have a slight problem with Leica’ pricing of finders. I have the Heliar
15, the Skopar 25 and a generic 35mm finder, and the total cost of these
three finders is less than what you would pay for a Leica 21 or 24 finder,
and neither the Heliar or the Skopar are in any way inferior to the Leica
finders ( they might not have the bright lines in them, but this is not
something that I miss).
 If somebody could figure out how to dismantle the Roussar 20mm finder, it
should be possible to install an acetate mask in it, behind the front glass,
with lines giving the angle for both the 21 and 24 angles of view.
Framed, eh!
Tom A