Subject: [Leica] Shutter Burn. Need Sunblock?
From: GERALD HAUSSLER <GHAUSSLE@email.usps.gov>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:04:35 -0500

     dan, paul, concerned citizens;

     [snip]
     >I actually took my lens off the camera, took a piece of dark paper,
     >and using the lens, aperture wide open, like a magnifying glass,
     >tried to burn a hole in the paper. Didn't happen- couldn't get it to
     >burn a hole in it! Now,

     no personal experience *trying* to burn holes with the lense.
     i just took it on faith that it works. my 'A' came with a burnt
     curtain and one of my 'daily driver' M3's has 2 (count 'em 2)
     patches on one curtain and one one the other. i had the curtain
     for the 'A' replaced and they both work great. (...for as much
     as the 'A' get out ;-)
     isn't there a famous story about Eisenstedt getting half way
     through a shoot w/ the Queen Mother, discovering that he had
     burned a curtain and sheepishly indicated that they had to
     reshoot everything...or is it just my memory playing tricks ?
     i try to keep the 'business end' pointed toward the ground or
     otherwise away from direct sun.
     hope this helps

     regards
     jerry