Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: photo papers and fixer
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:52:39 -0700

George Huczek wrote:

> At 10:23 AM 10/05/99 -0700, Mark wrote:
>  The new Anchell/Troop book
> >says Sodium Thiosulfate is no longer recommended for modern films and
> >probably "will not do the job"!!
>
> Sorry Mark, but this is complete hogwash!  The only difference in the
> result you get with ammonium thiosulphate and sodium thiosulphate has to do
> with the time needed to complete the job, not the effect.  Ammonium
> thiosulphate is faster, hence the name for its concoctions -- rapid fixer.
> It is the thiosulphate ion that complexes to remove the unreduced silver
> ions from the film or paper.  The cations join with the halides to produce
> a partial restraining effect, which becomes irrelevant if fixing time is
> sufficient.
>    Give me the exact quote from the Anchell/Troop book that you are
> referring to and convince me (and others) that standard hypo, which has
> been used for nearly as long as photography itself, can no longer "do the
> job" as you put it.
>
>  _
> [o] -GH

Ammonium thiosulphate is a much more active and therefore faster silver
solvent and it used to be uncool to use it by the hard core guys/gals
who I assume thought it would strip your silver away in it's
exuberance... then came the Ilford 30 second double strength fixing
theories and it was a whole new ballgame. Anchell/Troop are saying that
it is POSSIBLE that some modern films are made so sodium thiosulphate
would not ever do the job. This was a tentative assertation. They are
saying modern (T Grain) films are "harder" but they are not saying that
definitely and if they ever do I'm not saying I'll believe them. They
have said plenty that I've had differing experiences with but they have
come up with a whole lot of exciting stuff. The washing of hogs would
not apply substantially to them or my referals to them. I am looking
forward to purchasing my first bulk 5 pound batch of old fashioned Hypo
(which is sodium thiosulphate or Fixer for those not up on it) But its
use would be for printmaking and especially in line toning as the longer
fixing times would match longer toneing times.
Mark Rabiner
Oink Oink splash splash click click!