Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: photo papers and fixer
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:02:41 -0600

At 10:23 AM 10/05/99 -0700, Mark wrote:
 The new Anchell/Troop book
>says Sodium Thiosulfate is no longer recommended for modern films and
>probably "will not do the job"!!

Sorry Mark, but this is complete hogwash!  The only difference in the
result you get with ammonium thiosulphate and sodium thiosulphate has to do
with the time needed to complete the job, not the effect.  Ammonium
thiosulphate is faster, hence the name for its concoctions -- rapid fixer.
It is the thiosulphate ion that complexes to remove the unreduced silver
ions from the film or paper.  The cations join with the halides to produce
a partial restraining effect, which becomes irrelevant if fixing time is
sufficient.
   Give me the exact quote from the Anchell/Troop book that you are
referring to and convince me (and others) that standard hypo, which has
been used for nearly as long as photography itself, can no longer "do the
job" as you put it.

 _
[o] -GH