Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V8 #64
From: getrichkwik@webtv.net (ED Cherney)
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 19:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

"B.D. Colen" wrote...
- ----
"But....the fact that virtually everything is autofocus now is
guaranteeing that most "amateur" photographers haven't the foggiest idea
about the basics of photography.....".
IMHO
- ----
Hello B.D...
I agree wholeheartedly about "most "amateur" photographers not haven't
the foggiest idea about the basics of photography".

I'll go even one further...an equally or even greater number of
"professional" photographers...don't even know what the inside of a
Darkroom looks like...let alone, have developed a roll of film or made a
print of any kind.

I've been aware of this more and more over the past couple
decades...that it has been apparent...to send the exposed film to a
lab...or the employer's darkroom crew ...to have film developed and
prints made.

There is a difference beween a "photographer" and a "button
pusher"...regardless whch camera system's button is being pushed.

I hope this isn't going to create a bonfire of flames...because I'm NOT
attacking ANYBODY here.

Maybe I'm just funny that way...learning "photography" by snapping the
shutter of my Dad's Kodak folding and box cameras...then shuttung the
lights off in the bathroom at night...to develope a roll of 116
Orthochromatic  film...in a 5x7 tray of developer by the good-ole
see-saw method...under the dim glow of a red light bulb.

Now...THAT was REAL Magic!

Of course...I was a 9-year ole kid then...back in the early forties.
NOW...I'm just a "li'l-older kid"...hah....

THOSE were the"good-ole-days"
If you don't believe it...grab a old copy of Popular
Photography...Minicam Photography...Modern Photography...The
Professional Photographer...seeing REALLY Beautiful full page-size sepia
Rotogravure printing...when Quality was Quality.

All Photo publications were loaded wih expansive in-depth feature
articles...tips...how-to-do-it's...laced with the greatest quality of
phographs you've ever seen in your life.

There were NO Autofocus equipment then...AF didn't even exist in the
minds of the Greats back then...yet they turned out the greatest
photography quality anyone could ever ask for...

Definately..technology has changed...but is it REALLY an improvement
over the quality of most photography being presented today?

Seeing a blurred-streak in color...and only knowing what it's supposed
to be because of the text description...doesn't cut it in my book.

"QUALITY is like buying oats...If you want nice clean fresh oats...you
can expect to pay a fair price.
However...if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been
through the horse...then, that comes a lot cheaper".

And frankly...I really don't care for the "through the horse" brand
being shved down our throats nowadays...as being "modern art".

I'm just coming out of retirement...from under a rock in a hidden
cave...to rediscover photography again...with the same interest, vim,
vigor, vitality and zest as I had back then.

BOTH...Autofocus and Manual Focus have their place...pending WHICH is
the better-tool for any given job...so I don't understand what the heck
all this bickering is about my friends...except in stroking one's ego to
justify the camera they are using indivdually...right?...("my Paw kin
lick yer Paw" knda thing)...hah.

Continue the fun...I enjoy it!...Peace to all...ED.