Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M Box BS!
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 02:06:44 +0800

Don,

As far as I understand (and I may be wrong!), in recent years a given
lens model is only manufactured in one place.  The current M line up are
all made in Germany, including the latest APO 90/2.0 ASPH.  The last
lenses that 'migrated' from Canada to Germany, I believe, are the
Noctilux and Summilux 75/1.4.

I can only speak from my limited experience.  I have been buying Leica
equipment for only three years and have amounted to no more than a dozen
of bodies or two dozen lenses.  Perhaps we have a slightly different
retail system here, my dealer let me inspect every item before I pay.  I
have on many occasions rejected defective Leica products and my dealer
will get me another piece for me to inspect until I am completely
satisfied.  When shopping for the Elmarit-M 28/2.8 it was the 7th
example he took out that I eventually accepted.  The other six had
either coating defects, or with focusing or aperture rings being too
stiff or loose.  One of them had a few bubbles in the elements.  I
understand the 28/2.8 was German made.

I also had similar problems with the Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH.  In one
afternoon I also rejected four R7 bodies, all of them had one thing
wrong or another.  These are all German made if I am not mistaken.

In my VERY VERY LIMITED experience, it does seem my Canadian lenses have
represented themselves better than their German cousins.  But hey, this
is just a VERY SMALL SAMPLE and one cannot generalise that German made
Leicas are in any way inferior.  Perhaps I just had very bad luck.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not really care where the lens or camera is
made.  So long as it is not sub-standard I will enjoy using them.  I
just check them very carefully at the time of purchase.

Cheers,
Joseph