Subject: [Leica] Re: 90 mm APO-ASPH M Twinkie clutzheads
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 10:36:00 -0700

You are absolutely correct on this one Ted. Look at a couple of the
Canadian doozies. 180/3.4 APO and Noctilux. Lenses that folks "RAVE" about,
slobber over, would sell their mother-in-law for. I for one, hold a special
regard for my "Canadian" made lenses. I "KNOW" they are good. Ever get a
Canadian lens with a loose front element? Ever get a Canadian lens with a
sack full of crap between the elements? Nope!!!

I believe, for absolute quality and perfection, folks should seek out the
Canadian made lenses. You know they are good.

But on the other hand. I really don't care where any of my lenses are made.
I don't care what the box says. I never read it. I don't care what the lens
says. I just use it.

All of my R cameras, until my R7's, were made in Portugal. They were as
flawless as my R7's. So who cares? They work. They are Leica. They do the
job I bought them for. Perfectly and with the soul of a Leica camera.

75% of the BMW's sold in the US are made in So./No.(?) Carolina. This
subject never comes up on the BMW list. It's not an issue. It shouldn't be
an issue with Leica either. At least with the "USERS". Collectors, maybe. I
would choose to collect the Canadian lenses.

Regardless of where your lens or camera body was made, go out and take
pictures.

Jim