Subject: [Leica] Soul camera
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:59:27 -0700

&quot;music characterized by intensity of feeling and earthiness.&quot;
Merriam Webster.<br>
There are cameras with a soul. There are automobiles with a soul. In
order to be able to perceive their soul, one must have an enlightened
soul themselves. There is a subliminal vibration, a chemistry, that all
things emanate. When you connect up with that &quot;chemistry&quot;,
experiences become enhanced. Enlightened. As they say, you are on the
&quot;same wave length.&quot; You feel the &quot;vibes.&quot; There is a
bond.<br>
If it's your spouse or friend, you finish each others sentences. You want
to eat the same food at the same time. You want to see the same movie.
You laugh at the same things, cry for the same reasons. You act as
one.<br>
If it's your camera, you can operate it without even a minor thought. An
extension of your minds eye. Ideas flow. Results happen. You can feel the
image that is being recorded on the film. It is a part of you. The souls
merge.<br>
If it's your car, you feel as if it knows your intentions. You
&quot;know&quot; your car. It &quot;knows&quot; you. All feedback is
relevant and is in perfect harmony with your receptors. You operate as a
unit. Smooth, quiet, and surefooted. It is a deep trust. The souls
merge.<br>
Anyone who cannot &quot;feel&quot; the &quot;chemistry&quot; connection
between himself/herself and another, whether man or machine, is, sadly,
missing an important emotion. A gift. The speciality. I comes from
within. A passion. Unexplained excitement. Absolute confidence. The
ability to merge souls.<br>
With the wrong camera, the wrong car, wrong friend, the souls don't
merge. There is no bond. It is not a one way street. A kid with a Leica,
or Canon, will indeed produce a snapshot. Anyone whose soul is not
touched, by the soul of their camera, will also produce, simply
snapshots.<br>
At my age, from long personal experience, I know this is true. <br>
In Leon's absence,<br>
Jim<br>
wrote<br>
&gt;Alan, <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Sensuality is very subjective.=A0 And unless you have had opportunity
to try<br>
&gt;all other cameras your statement is a bit biased to say the least.=A0 I
know<br>
&gt;of no camera with &quot;soul&quot;=A0 much like no automobile has
soul.=A0 Its a machine!<br>
&gt;Its the photographer that has soul.=A0 Nice attempt though.=A0 <br>
&gt;Think about Ansel Adams with brownie, pictures would still be great,
but a<br>
&gt;kid with a Leica (soul?) it would still be snapshots.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Peter K<br>
&gt;<br>