Subject: Re: [Leica] Xtol long
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 17:01:08 -0700

I have been processing and printing my B&W work for over 10 years. I have
always preferred liquid chemicals: Rodinal for film, Neutol for papers. But
I was curious about other developers. So now and then I would try some and
over the years went from Rodinal to TMax to Ilfotec HC/-D to HC110. I did
finally try some powders, D76 (too "mushy" for me), Microphen, ID11 and
went back to liquids. When Ilford killed Ilfotec HC-D, I went to HC110.

When Kodak came out with Xtol, I was drawn to it because of (supposed or
real?) "environmental friendliness", shelf life, and sharpness, so I tried
it. And I've been using it now for about 2 years and really like it. It is
a way sharper then D76 and a bit "faster" and it has nice tonality. I used
it mostly with HP5+ and now I'm trying it with D400. I did print some
16x20's (inches) from 35mm HP5+, using Leica, of course, and they looked
really great. Some people at the gallery opening even asked me, if it was
shot by a medium format camera! So I guess I found my standard film
developer at last.

I develop in Xtol with mostly 1+1 dilution; tried 1+2 and it looks a bit
sharper.   My starting point for developing times was Kodak's times (J-107)
and it was pretty much right on; I shorten the times a little. Once, when I
accidentally shot HP5+ at 50 ASA I developed it in 1+3 dilution and the
negs were fully usable.

My "print developer path" was similar (Neutol, Heico ILC 90, Zonal Pro,
Polymax T, Bromophen-great cold blacks with Flexicon VCFB!) and I ended up
(or might) with Neutol Plus. It is also "vitamin C" based but a liquid (a
hint for Kodak). I use 1+9 dilution and so far the prints looks pretty
good, nice blacks and, strangely, the prints look somehow sharper and
grainier than in say Bromophen (anybody tried Neutol Plus yet to confirm
this?).

Just my 2 crowns.

Jiri Dvorak