Subject: Re: [Leica] A way of photographing and autofocus.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 06:51:41 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

><< That's why most of us use Leica. Because we think we know more about the
> way our subject matter should be rendered on the film, than any camera
> manufacturer does. Give me the straight forward controls and let me do the
> work. Assist me only if I ask. Rather than the other way around.
>
> If you need an AF camera, go get one. There are plenty to choose from. But
> let's hope that Leica doesn't make a "me-too" AF camera. >>>>>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

Well said and simple straight common sense.

What I can't understand is why some folks buy Leica, then go on whining and
wanting Leica to change. Sure there'll always be "advancements" in any
machine, but just becasue the other guys come out with sugar coated
thingies doesn't mean Leica must follow or fail.  Heck if the photographer
doesn't like the camera, M or R, either learn to use it in the manner they
were meant or sell them and buy the machine of their choice.

Here is the best option once one has a Leica in hand. Load camera,
important point! :) Then for motivation look through the book "75 Years of
Leica Photography,"   Once done, the Leica user should be so charged up
motivated he'll just want to go out and kick ass shooting wonderful Leica
created images.  Yes, yes I know it's the person holding the camera that
makes the difference and if that is the case, why do guys complain about
the camera requiring changes?

Maybe the guy holding the camera should be changed and the camera left
alone! :)

However, if they fail to do so due to lack of bells and whistles of the
tinker toys, don't complain, sell the Leica and buy a tinker toy auto
everything film exposing machine.  Be happy in your picture taking, it's
supposed to be fun.

After all, one is pretty stupid to buy a camera and then complain about
it's functions, constantly making comparisons to other machines while
insisting Leica  change. No I'm not in the stone age about changing the
Leica from what it is, I feel when the R&D for change is completed and
changes can be made without destroying the "Leica feel," changes will be
made.

Sorry to be so long on after Jim made it so simple, but at times I can't
turn the machine off! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant