Subject: Re: [Leica]M6-TTL Opinions
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 00:52:35 EDT

Andrew,

I am right now writing a review of the SF20 flash for the M6 TTL for the LHSA
Viewfinder's next issue.
Overall, my impression is favorable.  The combination works very well
together.  The SF20 is very easy to use, especially in regard to fill flash.
I have used the TTL and SF20 on several jobs, and it makes life easy to get
good results with flash.  The system is not as good as Nikon's SB-25-26-28
system, but then no one else's is either.
The SF20 has a few drawbacks.  #1 - its too expensive.  #2 - there is no
provision for bounce.  #3 - 1/50 flash sync speed.  Well, there's nothing we
can do about the first criticism.  After all, that red dot does raise the
price of anything its attached to.  As far as #2 goes, you can get the flash
off the camera by using Nikon's SC17 cord.  #3, do you really need a faster
sync for the type of photography you do with an M camera?  Probably not,
although a 1/125 or 1/250 would be nice to have.  Unfortunately, with the M's
cloth focal plane shutter, a much faster sync is not really possible.
Bottom line, I will be buying the TTL/SF20 combination to use for my own
professional work.  I, m putting my money where my mouth is!

Bill Rosauer