Subject: [Leica] art, manual focus & other misunderstanding
From: "Carlos Blanco" <cblanco@fibertel.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 23:13:07 -0300

Dear luggers,
    I begg your pardon because this message could end by being longer than
what I have expected but I would like to discuss some remarks concerning the
answers I received

From: Eric Welch
    1-There is a whole world of difference between Dosineau paying a couple
to go
around Paris kissing, and HCB conceiving a picture by looking at the ladder
in the puddle and waiting for someone to walk to the end and jump.

RE: I agree but that difference is ethic and not esthetic. What I mean is
that sometimes we misunderstand the difference between the photographer's
point of view from that of the mere spectator. When I show both "Dehors la
gare..."de HCB and "Les baisers de l'hotel de Ville" de Doisneau to my
pupils, they always prefer the latter...until they know that the photo has
been prepaired.

From Alan Ball:
    1-But you are right: art and photojournalism are unrelated topics !

RE: The difference between art and technique is that while the force of the
first lays on the subject the spirit of the second is that anybody having
the same knowledge could arrive to the same object.
    My master in the field of art  history would say: certainly
photojournalism is not an art, but it could be. Not all the photos taken for
Life magazine were artistic expressions, not even all HCB work is (I would
dare to say even though I love HCB work) but some pictures certainly are.

Leicas for all!
Carlos