Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V8 #62
From: DAVE YODER <leica@home.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 13:10:57 -0700

I'd suggest that by buying into the Leica R system I'm not in effect
trading in my apartment for a cave. Cameras are evolving into
specializations now because they can. Autofocus has become essential for
sports, but a number of photographers who shoot using wide glass are
having problems with the EOS system and the necessity of giving up some
control of composition.
Personally, my first complaint is the quality of the wide angle glass,
though many others are happy with it. The more universal complaint is
the autofocus, especially with the EOS system. It's so darn hard to
manually focus through that screen with wide angle lenses. And in
autofocus mode you're either making composition a secondary concern, or
using your SLR like a rangefinder to focus then recompose, and by then
the moment is gone.
Canon and Nikon have their niche markets. So does Leica. I can do things
with Leica-R that I can't with Canon (though I'd say I can with Nikon).
As a photojournalist, in the last few years I've seen technology only
bring a decline in quality of the final product. And it's only going to
get worse with digital cameras, which are eagerly being embraced. So,
I've yet to see how all this new stuff is of wide-ranging benefit to
professionals outside the realm of sports shooting, or people with poor
eyesight. Show me how photography and photojournalism have improved with
this explosion of new gadgetry and I'll change my mind.

Dave Y.