Subject: Re: [Leica] AF, a FAD?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 13:01:46 -0500

At 09:51 AM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>  If the Leica were so good and there was a REAL competitive edge
>to the single digit percetages a leica lens yields over Canon and Nikon,
>then all the photogs would be using R8s wouldn't they?  But apparently, we
>all continue to justify what we own.

The only people we seem to have to justify our choice of Leica R8 to is to
people who don't know anything about them (i.e. never used them).

You are asking the wrong question. If Leica had a more effective marketing
effort, would they be in the hands of more professionals? I say yes. The
next few years should prove that. (See my previous post on AF). Most
photojournalists I know who shoot more than sports all turn the AF quite
often when they don't really need it. It often gets in the way.

>"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
>nail.
>- Abraham H. Maslow"

Maslow always says his name at the end of a statement? :-)

Great quote. I use a favorite principle he must have written: Principle of
the instrument. Give a child a hammer and everything he encounters requires
hammering.

Or maybe: Give a photojournalist a new lens, and every assignment he gets
needs that particular lens.

Seems to last a week for me before I rediscover my other lenses. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He who laughs last thinks slowest!