Subject: Re: [Leica] On the Profitability of Optical Companies
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 16:24:57 -0500

At 11:29 AM 5/2/99 -0400, you wrote:
>And REMEMBER THIS, GUYS:  those "corporate bean-counters" so many of you
>love to lambaste have both a legal and moral duty to MAKE PROFITS for the
>stock-holders

Marc,

My problem isn't that. It's the demand of ever-increasing profits that is
destroying so many good things in life. They aren't happy with reasonable
profits any more. They have to increase profits. And increase golden
parachutes. And increase CEO perks. But never does it seem they want to
increase customer satisfaction. If Leica goes that route, it's in trouble.
And I think they know that. Which is why I don't bemoan the fate of Leica
every time someone reports a speck of dust on a new camera out of the box
and says the bean-counters are at work.

I'm a stock-holder too. But I don't demand they sell their children on the
black market to make sure I get to pay big green fees when I retire.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.