Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V8 #59
From: Jim Colburn <jc60714@navix.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 13:06:19 -0500

Hello-
	Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net> wrote:

>I guess the best way to get the kids into photography is to make it fun,
>not freak out if they handle your cameras.
	I do a lot of work with kids with learning and behavioral disabilities,
and photography has been one of the "keys" I use.  A lot of children are
intimidated when they encounter me-probably relates to size and gender.  So
I walk around, taking the occasional picture, making comments on their
activities, etc.  It never fails, after a bit at least one child will be
watching me-so I offer him or her the opportunity to try out the camera.
Pretty soon, a bunch of kids will gather around.  They poke through a great
big bag full of cameras, film, and adaptive devices; they ask questions-and
most importantly take picures!
	One factor that seems important to the kids is that they use the same type
of camera they see me use.  Most of them fall into the age group of 6-18
years old-they recognize when I hand them a P&S that it isn't the same
thing.  If I hand them a "real" camera, they know I trust them-and that
goes a long way toward starting a working relationship.
	Some of the things that help the kids: fast film to minimize effects of
camera movement; small, light cameras (some of my favorites are the Pentax
MX/ME, Nikon EM/FE, etc.), ideally with some degree of automation;
wide-angle lenses for greater depth of field.  If you are with the kid a
lot, it really helps if you can get them their own camera, one that is
compatible with your system.
	Most of the kids I have worked with seem to prefer using SLRs, and I am
not sure why.  I think part of it is the image they have of "real"
photographers, but part of it may be the way they interface with the
camera-"better" ability to focus with split-image maybe?
	The major exception to this has been my buddy Tommy.  About two years ago,
he latched onto my Nikon SP.  He focuses well, for a five year old he had a
fantastic grasp of how light affects the film (this is good-he refuses to
use a light meter on ANY camera), and he had an absolute hatred of fast
film-he doesn't like grain.  He used the SP w/28mm F3.5 and Techpan
exclusively for about 18 months (I actually forgot I owned an SP-he has had
it since early '97), then he picked up my III-f with 85mm F2 Nikkor.  He
prefers the longer lens and shallower depth of field.  Right now, he is off
at a special school for a year-it'll be interesting to see what pictures he
comes back with.
	Can't recall a camera ever being damaged when children are using it-they
tend to be very careful about following the "strap over the head" rule.
Film and D&P can break your budget tho!  There can be down sides too-my
godson has informed me he wants to be a wedding photographer...where did I
go wrong?
Jim Colburn