Subject: [Leica] On the Profitability of Optical Companies
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 11:29:17 -0400

Cameras have not been a terribly profitable field for many, many years.
Successful camera companies are small parts of large concerns, as is true,
as well for optical works.

Zeiss makes almost all of its substantial profit from industrial,
scientific, technical, and industrial optics, and Zeiss Ikon was
unprofitable for most of its existence as a camera company.  When the Zeiss
Foundation refused to allow the Zeiss lensworks to subsidize Zeiss Ikon any
longer, Zeiss Ikon quit making cameras.  (As happened with the British
motor industry, you can lose money on every item you sell, to the point
where it only hurts you more as your success in the marketplace rises.
This happened to Zeiss Ikon then, and has been happening to Nikon in recent
years.)

Nikon is a grand parallal to Zeiss Ikon.  It is part of the Mitsubishi
conglomerate.  As such, the overall concern is profitable, less so in
recent years than currently.  If the corporate "bean counters" decide that
corporate profits no longer allow Nikon to be subsidized, it will be gone.

And REMEMBER THIS, GUYS:  those "corporate bean-counters" so many of you
love to lambaste have both a legal and moral duty to MAKE PROFITS for the
stock-holders.  If they deliberately choose to lose money, they are
breaching this duty and can be sued.  This happened to Henry Ford in '22
when he wanted to sell the Model T at slightly above cost, though the
market would have easily supported a much higher price.  The stockholders
sued Henry, and won, and Henry then bought the company back and it remained
a private enterprise, non-corporate, for decades.  The US government
brought criminal charges against some corporate managers back in the '60's
for breaching this same duty, though, as I recall, the Courts only allowed
civil, and not criminal, judgements.

Canon is in a much healthier position, as its optical and camera divisions
are just divisions within a much larger works.  And Canon has come to
dominate that portion of the industrial and technical optics field that
Zeiss hasn't gotten to:  for instance, Canon makes most of the optical
components for copy machines, scanners, and FAXes regardless of make.
(Nikon has a similar position in scientific optics, but that is a much
smaller field with much less profit.)

So, yes, Nikon is in trouble, and the prevelance of its products in the
marketplace doesn't indicate much at all, save that it is selling a lot;
large sales don't mean it is making money.  I understand, though, that
Nikon's bleakest days came in the early 1990's, when Mitsubishi put them on
notice that they had to make profits, a threat later withdrawn.  (After
all, a thousand people know Nikon cameras to everyone who realizes that
Mitsubishi owns a major ship-building works and is getting back into
aviation, a field they have tended to stay out of since their last effort,
the Zero fighter, left production a half-century back!  My point is that
there is a lot of name recognition attached to a flagship camera line, and
Mitsubishi recognizes the advertising value in this.)

So, I don't expect Zeiss Ikon to come back to life, nor do I expect Canon
to go away or Nikon either, though Nikon is having a rocky time at present,
and its continued existence is not entirely safe.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!