Subject: [Leica] Leica in trouble?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:27:45 +0200

Some time ago it was very fashonable to study every gesture and word from
the Kremlin occupants, as we in the West were very anxious that the guys
there would develop some plan we could not foresee and adequately respond
to. Kremlin watching was a big game and in hindsight a terrible waste of
energy and also almost alwats dead wrong.

The Lug seems to have adopted this habit in a new kind of Leica watching.
We hear from informed sources, we read between lines in interviews, we
speculate on every sentence from every one who seems to know, if ever so
remotely, and every bit of info is accepted as truth to speculate further.
And we fear that whatever happens at Solms it will either give us new
products we hate to love or it will give us familiar products with cost
cutting measurements we love to hate.

To survive Leica needs to sell products in fairly large  quantities and at
the same time with a very high quality at a fairly acceptable price. It is
highly probable that the company knows how to do this. Let us wait and see.
I am amazed at the level of unsubstantiated info  and fast drawn
conclusions sprinkled on this list. We all would be better off and more
informed if we were a bit more careful here.

The company is changing into a new mood and with a focused direction. Yes,
there is financial trouble and some cost cutting unavoidable. In fact some
painful measures have been taken. The company knows where to slash costs
without jeopardizing its core business.

The next four years are very important for the company. Let us be critical
when their products fail to deliver and be enthousiastic when they do. That
is our role as consumers. As we do not know the big picture it is unwise to
speculate beyond our horizon of expertise of using the Leica products.

Erwin