Subject: [Leica] It's the lens, stupid.
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:49:20 -0700 (PDT)

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

I hate to say it on this list, but in a recent
interview in
one of the British
magazines (either Amateur Photographer or Practical
Photography) Stanfield said
that he switched from Leica R to Nikon because the
Leica
SLRs kept failing on
assignment. He said he loved the Leica lenses but
found the
bodies too
unreliable.
- - - - snip - - -

Nathan,

This is what I have been saying for some time now, and
what most LUGGERS don't want to hear.  Leica's future
is in the lens business.  I don't know what Herr
Cohn's business plan is, but I think he would be wise
to consider the idea of making Leica lenses for Nikon,
Canon, etc.  If Leica came out with a 28-70 f2,8 AFD
for Nikon, the they would not be able to make them
fast enough.  Especially since the new Nikon 28-70
f2,8 appears to be, how shall I say it?  Not quite up
to expectations and extremely over priced. (Well,
there goes my free trip to the Nikon factory in
Japan).

The cold hard facts are that Leica is so far behind
the curve in the SLR business, that the only way that
they will be able to come out with a new R model is to
buy or lease the design from some other company.

On the brighter side, what ever Herr Cohn is doing, he
is impressing the financial community.  Friday, Leica
stock closed above 13 (Euros).  That is twice what it
was two months ago. (When was the last time you
doubled your money in two months?) So a lot of people
are putting their money and trust behind Herr Cohn.
And, that is a good sign.

Regards,
Bill