Subject: Re: [Leica] Keeping an M shutter in shape
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:50:32 -0700

Peter wrote :

I wonder how one could spare the springs in the M's shutter. Is it a
>good idea just to cock the shutter half ways when not using the camera
>for a longer time? My theory is that the every curtain spring takes
>only half the load and wear on them will be more evenly distributed.>>>>>>

Hello Peter,

About once a month for many years I have run everyone of my dozen or so
cameras through a series of cocking and tripping every shutter speed a
couple of times  then return the rarely used to the storage cases with
shutter uncocked...Then there isn't any tension on the timing mechanism.

This routine takes little time as one sits and watches the idiot box or
just having a relaxing break from a busy schedule. Works for me, don't know
what others will say. But lets just point out that my 16 year old M6's when
tested are all within the acceptable  range of correctness.....And they get
used hard like plow horses and they've never been CLA'd

It is my belief and experience the harder you work your LEICA gear the
better they function, let them sit around for months or even weeks without
pumping film or just firing every shutter speed a couple of times, they
just get old and slow like an inactive senior citizen TV watcher couch
potato! :)

I think the old adge of...."Use it or Loose it!" is quite appropriate for
this situation.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant