Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LF film and airport security
From: Ian Stanley <stanley@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:56:11 +0530

At 10:18 AM 99-04-29 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks Ian,
>
>One last question... or two...
>
>When you use lead bags, are you packing these in your carry-on baggage, or
>your checked baggage? The machines used for each are considerably different.
>
>Those machines used for checked baggage can automatically
>"crank-up-the-volume" in order to see into things. Very very destructive
>for unprotected film. If protection is even possible. Richard Attenborough
>(spelling?) found this out the hard way. Months of filming in Papua New
>Guinea ruined. Do you have any experience here?
>
>And, what brand/size/etc. lead bags have you used?
>
>If you order film ahead, then use it there, you would have the same problem
>getting it back unless it were processed there. I know you do all of your
>own darkroom work so I suspect you bring it back. Of course, you only have
>half of the trip to worry about, rather than the whole.
>
>Many thanks Ian. Also, please keep us informed on how & what you are doing
>in Bangkok.
>
>:-)
>
>Jim

Hello Jim,

	When I was using the lead lined bags it was in the checked luggage, but I
don't do that anymore unless absolutely necessary.  The bag I use is a Sima
Super Film Shield, double thick lead laminated pouch.  Again, if possible,
on the return trip I carry the 4x5 film in my photo vest - no Xray.  I also
deal with pro labs in various countries that I know will do a good job of
the processing and have the film developed before I return.

Ian