Subject: [Leica] LF film and airport security
From: Ian Stanley <stanley@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:46:32 +0530

At 04:19 PM 99-04-28 -0700, you wrote:
>Ian,
>
>Very nice to have you back. And your stories about travel, moving, cruising
>for snaps, etc are ALWAYS a joy to read. Please keep us abreast of your
>adventures.
>
>I have a question. I know that when you travel, you take your 4x5 (as well
>as Leica). I have figured out how to travel through airports with 35mm
>film, but I don't know the answer for LF film. Would you, when you have
>time, please enlighten us as to how you pack, carry, and x-ray (or not)
>your film.
>
>Thank Ian,
>
>Jim

Hello Jim,

	Thanks for the kind words.  As far as travelling with sheet film and
airports is concerned, up until the last two years or so I had just been
using lead lined bags and had experienced no problems with damage from the
x-ray machines.  I have been a little more worried lately though with the
new machines coming in so have changed tactics a little.  Usually if I am
travelling to somewhere that film is readily available I just order ahead
and pick it up when I arrive.  If I'm not sure what the supply is like I
just carry what film I need in the pockets of my photo vest and walk
through the metal detector - no problem as there is no metal in the film
box.  None of the security types have ever asked to see what is in my
pockets - so far anyway.

Ian Stanley,

Bangkok