Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica revisited & production tolerances
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:29:03 -0400

 Lucien-
You are so correct! however, there is the expectation of perfection!

When I worked with the Police department, in communications, we answered
about 350,000 telephone calls coming into our 911 emergency center the last
year I was there. Of all of those calls, there were only about 15 complaints
filed regarding the way the calls were handled- including the non-emergency
ones.
Obviously, the percentage of complaints was very small when examined in the
overall context of the sheer volume of traffic handled, but the perception
of those who complained, was that we had failed miserably. Unfortunately,
the management of our center took each and every complaint as a mark that
they were failing, and consequently, made life miserable for everyone! When
I retired, I vowed to consider the milieu from which problems arise, and
unless it is a life and death matter, take it easy. Getting upset shortens
one's life and detracts from photography!
I no longer get upset at many of the apparent shortcomings I encounter. I
never get mad at a wait(er)(ress) because my steak is not cooked properly,
it's not his or her fault.  I don't get exasperated at customers who are
disappointed at the color of their prints because they used a no-name film
in a no-name disposable camera to take photos on their trip of a lifetime to
Europe- it isn't worth it. I do the best I can, and suggest they use a
decent camera and fresh film. These are just 'things'- they can be fixed.
Taking a reasonable approach goes a long way to make life a little more
'centered'
If those who have had their M6s fixed, and all is well, please let those
concerned folks out there know how to get the job done, without rants,
raves, or recriminations. Six months from now, what the hell difference will
it make to most of us? Lets go take some pictures!
Dan