Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:36:24 +1000

D Khong wrote:
snip:

>   My impression about Hasselblad and Rollei is that these two are built to
> last
> and withstand rigorous use without faltering.  Hence this quality is
> reflected in their prices in the used market.
> I suspect the same is reflected in Leica prices to some extent.  In other
> words, the used stuff is still quality stuff when you buy Hassies, Rollies
> and Leicas as compared to Mamiyas, Bronicas, Pentaxes, Ns and Cs.
>
> Dan K.

  In the end it really makes sense, to spend the extra bucks to get a quality
camera as mentioned. However not all of the less expensive makes are unreliable
or prone to excessive wear.
1970 I bought an original Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm f1.4 lens. this camera
had an enormous amount of hard and rugged use. I normally use it, if I think
the Leica may get dented or to much scratched. (a few light scratches on a
Leica don't really matter, but dents , I don't like).
The Spotmatic was many times caught in the rain and mud. It slid down a stony
100 feet cliff, with me hanging on to it. My children used it and until now, it
never had an oil change. The shutter still sounds like the original. Also once
in Germany with 25 C below zero, my M3's shutter went slower and slower, until
it stopped halfway. I know, it should have been winterized with the right
lubricant and all that, but the Spotmatic didn't need to be winterized, or for
that matter, sommerized. It seems to have the right oil all the time.
It works as well here in Australia with + 40c above as it does in the Antarctic
with - 40C below.
Just one thing is missing: It doesn't quite have the Leica feeling.