Subject: Re: AW: [Leica] Summicron 2/50 No.:11825 chrom
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:11:06 -0700

Hallo Bernhard,

You are correct on all your computations.

Actual focal length of all lenses is not longer. If your 135 was marked
42 then its actual focal length would be 134.2.

A 50 marked 9.2 would have an actual focal length of 49.2.

As best I recall Erwin Puts posted that now Leica only makes one of the
50's in 3 focal lengths. My recollection is that the characteristics of
each element is measured and a computer program 'decides' which elements
to assemble to give resultant lens in one of the three focal lengths.

One reason the exact focal length is significant is that even 0.1 mm
difference will require a different focussing helicoid.

I wonder what the various focal lengths of the Noctlux are.

Dennis