Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: "ross mcleish" <cram@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:51:58 +1000

>Jim Brick asked:
> "As a Leica user and enthusiast, and in keeping with the optical quality
> I'm accustomed to, what medium format camera would you recommend should I
> wish to augment my 35mm Leica system with a roll film system?"
>
> If anyone has any strong feelings, I would indeed be interested and
> grateful for a response. If the LUG is not interested, private mail is
fine.

Jim,
My medium format preference is with Rollei. I use the 6008i and (mostly)
Schneider glass.
I am really addicted to fine German objectives, and realise the beauty and
popularity of a lot of the Zeiss lenses also, but find the Scneider a little
'warmer' (please no-one ask me to justify that, other than anecdotally).
There is no doubt that the Rollei is hugely expensive compared to some other
MF systems, including Hasselblads (with Zeiss lenses), but then Leica users
have already swallowed 'that' (financial) pill! My big regret with Rollei,
is the small pre-loved market (in comparison to Leica!) -- we don't see many
2nd-hand Schneider lenses in Australia! more than once, I have heard the
rationale that the reason for the paucity of used Rollei equipment, is
because owners never want to let it go -- I expect I will fall into that
category!