Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:02:04 -0500

>You pose a difficult question.
>
>If what you are asking is what medium format camera will give you the same
>apparent sharpness and resolution in, say an 8x10 print, or even 11x14,
>then the answer I suppose is any of them.
>
>My question is, what do they mean by augment?
>
>If you are an M user, then the camera that would come closest to the
>speed, quiet, and unobtrusiveness of an M would be a TLR.  A YashicaMat
>can give killer results for around $250.  Spend up to $1k and you can get
>a real dandy Rolleiflex.
>
>But that would be a replacement, not an augment.  The reason I switched to
>He works exclusively with a Rollei 3.5F, using
>400 speed film.  It is quiet, and looks enough like a "box" camera that
>the folks don't think of him as a "pro."  Fantastic quality, fantastic
>results.
>
>Bob

Assuming that you do not need additional lenses or polaroid, the Rollei
TLRs are incredible!  They're light, inexpensive, dependable and the
lenses are wonderful.   You get a constant view of the subject, no mirror
flop or vibration, the possibility of shooting at very slow speeds. Most
people think they're just some old antique box camera, for this reason
they are very subject friendly.

The 2.8s are great wide open (Planar or Xenotar either one) and just get
better as you stop down.  I've heard that the 3.5s are at their best when
stopped down a bit (never owned one myself).

Buy a nice 2.8 and some XP2 or your personal choice of 400 speed film and
you'll have the capability to make some fine pictures.

Henry