Subject: Re: [Leica] depth of field information?
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:10:11 +0100

- --------------2F565D2F05363709141F9B50

Henry,

Yes, there is a chart showing depth of field (dof) for Leica lenses but it is
not a recent one, these were prevelent years ago and are not much seen these
days. You can look for old (1930s-50s) books which are most likely to show
this, alternatively buy Erwin's excellent CD Rom, 'Leica History in Original
Documents, Part 1: 1925-1965', this reproduces many early Leica brochures
which include dof scales.

If you are looking for absolute minimum focussing distances I doubt you will
find this information, most dof scales list several specific ditances and the
dof around them, eg. 1m, 5m and infinity.
As the 21mm Super Angulon (for example) has a minimum focussing distance of
16", the dof would extend from 14-17" @ f3.4 and c. 12"-32" @ f22.

Of course this is all relative to what you call 'sharp', if you blow things
up to a very large degree then you will need to be more critical than if you
only look at en-prints or make postcards. Sharpness does not start and stop
abruptly, you may call the sharpness at 14" (instance 1) sharp but others may
not, you may feel that the picture shows sharpness only from 15", so this
illustrates the need to determine your own standards as you suggest at the
end of your mailing.

Brian Bower's Leica Lens Book addresses dof and he notes that he under-values
the Leica dof marking on their lenses. If he wants to ensure sharpness by his
standards, he uses a stop smaller than Leitz mark.
I hope this answers your query,

Jem
====================================

Henry Ambrose wrote:

> Is there a depth of field chart for Leica M lenses?
> An example of its use would be to answer this question:
> With a wide angle lens stopped down to  f11 or f16 (or whatever) how
> close can an object be and still be in focus? I know the distance would
> be closer than the minimum focusing distance as indicated on the lens.
> What I don't know is how close and how it changes at each aperture.
>
> Is there a published document that contains this information? Or can this
> only be determined by testing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry Ambrose

- --------------2F565D2F05363709141F9B50

<HTML>
Henry,

<P>Yes, there is a chart showing depth of field (dof) for Leica lenses
but it is not a recent one, these were prevelent years ago and are not
much seen these days. You can look for old (1930s-50s) books which are
most likely to show this, alternatively buy Erwin's excellent CD Rom, 'Leica
History in Original Documents, Part 1: 1925-1965', this reproduces many
early Leica brochures which include dof scales.

<P>If you are looking for absolute minimum focussing distances I doubt
you will find this information, most dof scales list several specific ditances
and the dof around them, eg. 1m, 5m and infinity.
<BR>As the 21mm Super Angulon (for example) has a minimum focussing distance
of 16", the dof would extend from 14-17" @ f3.4 and c. 12"-32" @ f22.

<P>Of course this is all relative to what you call 'sharp', if you blow
things up to a very large degree then you will need to be more critical
than if you only look at en-prints or make postcards. Sharpness does not
start and stop abruptly, you may call the sharpness at 14" (instance 1)
sharp but others may not, you may feel that the picture shows sharpness
only from 15", so this illustrates the need to determine your own standards
as you suggest at the end of your mailing.

<P>Brian Bower's Leica Lens Book addresses dof and he notes that he under-values
the Leica dof marking on their lenses. If he wants to ensure sharpness
by his standards, he uses a stop smaller than Leitz mark.
<BR>I hope this answers your query,

<P>Jem
<BR>====================================

<P><I>Henry Ambrose wrote:&nbsp;</I>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I>Is there a depth of field chart for Leica M lenses?</I>
<BR><I>An example of its use would be to answer this question:</I>
<BR><I>With a wide angle lens stopped down to&nbsp; f11 or f16 (or whatever)
how</I>
<BR><I>close can an object be and still be in focus? I know the distance
would</I>
<BR><I>be closer than the minimum focusing distance as indicated on the
lens.</I>
<BR><I>What I don't know is how close and how it changes at each aperture.</I><I></I>

<P><I>Is there a published document that contains this information? Or
can this</I>
<BR><I>only be determined by testing?</I><I></I>

<P><I>Thanks,</I><I></I>

<P><I>Henry Ambrose</I></BLOCKQUOTE>
<I>&nbsp;</I></HTML>

- --------------2F565D2F05363709141F9B50--