Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 02:05:50 -0400

> > "As a Leica user and enthusiast, and in keeping with the optical quality
> > I'm accustomed to, what medium format camera would you
> recommend should I
> > wish to augment my 35mm Leica system with a roll film system?"
> >

> --
Jim: I think the Hasselblad to many would be an obvious choice.The 500c/m
has served me well for many years.With two interchangeable backs(one for
color and one for b&w) and three CF lenses(e.g., 60mm, 100mm and 180mm) you
are in mf paradise. If one uses print film which is printed by a good
professional lab at sizes 11x14" and larger the Hasselblad advantage in
sharpness  over Leica-M is apparent. All in all, the T*-coated lenses are
superb.
On the other hand,

     1. Using slide film, such as K-25, projected slides using the Leica-M
approach Hasselblad quality with ASA100 E-6 films.
     2. Focusing, especially with the waistlevel finder, is slower and less
accurate than with the Leica-M.
     3. Through-the-lens metering is not possible with the C series.  Only
the relatively new and very expensive FE series
          allows metering.
     4. There is a loss of spontaneity in "people" pictures and/or street
photography with the Hasselblad.
     5. Mechanical linkage problems are often troublesome. For example,
(a)the lens may be frozen on the body,or (b) the
         lens shutter is frozen.
     6. It is difficult to compose in the square format. Yes, a 6x4.5cm back
is available but it is tricky to get shots in a vertical
         format even with a 90deg pentaprism.

Regards, Andrew Jordan

p.s. You would also want to hear from the Contax 645 users.