Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pulitzer prize
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:19:23 -0500

At 10:09 AM 4/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Doesn't the Pulitzer committee request a portfolio from the nominees
>in order to evaluate their whole body of work (along with the nominated
>shot(s))? I'd heard they do that in order to eliminate the people who were
>simply fortunate enough to F8 and be there.

Not true in the least. Otherwise, several would not have one. Like the guy
who worked in a bank that won for the fireman and child at the Oklahoma
(militia) bombing. And then lost his job because the greedy company he
worked for claimed they owned rights to the picture.
Or the fireman and child in St. Louis (of missing diet coke can fame) or
the truck hanging off the bridge (lady with brownie).

Which is exactly my point. You don't have to be good to win the Pulitzer
for spot news. It would be hard for the feature prize, since it's usually
multiple pictures.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math