Subject: Re: [Leica] polarizers
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:12:39 -0700

>Allan wrote:
>
>>	By the way...do NOT use polarizers with wide angle lenses.  Sky
>>polarization diminishes as one shoots closer to the sun or at 180 degrees.
>>Maximum polarization is at 90 degrees.  Wide angle pictures often show a
>>sky gradation from dark to light often ruining a fantastic picture.
>>
>>Allan
>
>How wide is wide when it comes to polarizers.  I've use a polarizer with
>my 35 and the pictures seem to be OK.  Do you mean 28, 21 here?
>
>MK

It just takes a bit more care with wider lenses, and you can offset the
uneven polarization at times by turning the polarizer so that the maximum
effect is not achieved at one spot, but a bit of polarization appears in
that area of the  sky where there would be none if the main area were
polarized to the maximum. Ie., using an SLR, turn the filter until you like
what you see. Using a polarizer on an M Leica is possible, but best tried
after you have some familiarity with a polarizer on a similar focal length
on an SLR.

I use polarizers on all lenses that will accept them at times, including 15
& 21 on 35mm, and lenses with similar angles of view on other formats. The
only truly problematic lens/cameras are the rotating lens cameras. There I
never use polarizers.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com