Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Macro work
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:41:20 -0500

At 01:10 PM 4/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have direct experience with the gyro devices that are supposed to
>steady the camera?  If so, a post in regard to their effectiveness would be
>most appreciated.

A bit. They are great for those marginal shots. But don't expect them to
work miracles. They are pretty big - they have to have enough momentum to
work - so they are only useful for special reasons. They cost well above
$1,000 USD, and likely more than twice that for something with some real mass.

I took some pictures last week with my 70-180 2.8 Vario Apo at 1/30 second
hand-held. I was nervous about it, but needn't be. Amazingly, no other lens
of that length would I have even bothered trying. You could see that there
was some image degradation in most of the pictures, but not so that it was
objectionable for most uses (small prints - 8x10 and smaller) and newspaper
repro. The thing's so massive that it's like having a little gyro in side!
:-) Not any competition for Canon's IS lenses, but... (Just kidding).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Some people say that I'm superficial, but that's just on the surface.