Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality Control
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:13:47 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> You advised that on your trip to Leica Germany you were advised Leica does,
> in fact, check each and every camera body and lens before shipment.
>
> Thank you very much for you enlightening post regarding the fact that Leica
> does inspect each and every Leica camera and lens.  Some here in the US have
> detected some problems with the Leica quality and had suggested this might be
> corrected with more vigilant quality control and a few extra bucks for
> tightening up their quality program.  At least one Leica owner here in the
> USA opined that this would raise the cost of a Leica camera to the $5,000.00
> range and there have been others who apparently do not care about receiving
> their money's worth and apparently wish for the rest of the Leica users to be
> satisfied with faulty cameras. They have done their best to squelch the
> concern raised by those who thought they were doing Leica owners a service by
> suggesting it might be prudent to check their Leica cameras so priceless
> negatives were not inadvertently damaged.  However, these self-appointed
> gatekeepers of the LUG have been ignored and those with the problem cameras
> are in the process of seeking remedial action for their cameras.
>
> Thank you so much for your post as it debunks yet another myth sought to be
> perpetuated by the self-appointed gatekeepers of the LUG.
>
> Hang in there and know that the majority of the LUG appreciate your thoughts
> regarding Leica cameras and lenses.
>
> Donjr43198@aol.com

As I see it we've got a couple or more people here who have had a
problem or two with their Leica's and are really annoyed when everyone
on the list doesn't agree with them that it is and new huge ugly trend.
I like your phrase "self-appointed gatekeepers" and I agree there are
always people who have that kind of attitude. It often leads to a bunch
of other people following them, not me, and I'm glad not you.
I will be glad when you get your camera fixed and I hope it would be at
Leica's expense. It sounds like it should be.
But what people talk about here is only what they feel like, nothing
more nothing less. You can talk about a central critical issue and
nobody else wants to. You can mention something rather off base, and
that day everyone has something to say about it.
QC involves in a quality company like Leica not checking out the camera
before it leaves but hundreds of checks and rechecks which I think
contributes to a major cost of the camera. If I'm wrong I'd love to hear
about it.
Mark Rabiner