Subject: Re: [Leica]Get the screw mount!point and shoot.recommendations?
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:31:23 PDT

Even with the standard black an white...Just don't underexpose...If
you are going with B&W stay with the illford films.  Tmax100 is fine
but it can really block up on overexposed highlights.

Practise with a light meter as a back up for a few rolls.  See how far
off you are, I'll bet you are dead on in 90% of your outdoor shots.

Living without a meter will be a liberating experience!
You'll feel like a regular HCB the first time you get a great shot
without one!
Good Luck!  Hope you find a great SCM body and lens.

Dan

>With print film this works, at least color and I assume also with the
C41
>B&W films. I see a clear image of one of these screw mount gems in my
>future ;-)
>
>Nathan
>
>dan states wrote:
>
>> Nathan, don't be shy about guessing the exposure!  Believe it or
not
>> the little cartoon guides in the film boxes are pretty damn close
in
>> 99% of shots!
>>
>> I nearly always shoot 100 speed film, so I have gotten used to
>> estimating speeds for that ASA.
>>
>> In sunshine f8 at 500th
>> In shade on a sunny day F4 at 125th
>> Indoors f3.5 at 30th. (this is the hardest to guess, it could be a
lot
>> less.
>> On a cloudy day I usually try for f4 at 60th-125th.
>>
>> If you like faster or slower film just add or subtract the amount
of
>> stops to fit your preferences.
>>
>> Of couse this is valid for print film primarily, where exposure
>> latitude, over exposure in particular is very great. (over 2 stops
on
>> most film.)
>>
>> Don't let the lack of a light meter keep you from buying a screw
mount
>> camera.  They are wonderful "people" cameras, and still a
reasonable
>> bargin compared to the M's.
>>
>> Good Luck,  Dan
>
>--