Subject: Re: [Leica] Looooong development
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:25:37 +0000

The Film Development Cookbook has a section on 'stand development':

... exaggerated adjacency effect provides a refreshingly different kind of
print
...  use half-strength working solution, develop 45-90 minutes, nearly
impossible to overdevelop
...  stick to slow and medium films, tabular films are more sensitive

BTW you are lucky to live in the home country of Mr Celsius, because room
temperature should be within 5 degrees of 68F/20C. The Americans obviously
have to be more careful with temperature limits ;-)

......AND GET YOUR OWN COPY OF THE BOOK  :´)))

>Has anyone tried something along the lines of this:
>
>I've been toying with the idea of using diluted XTOL for very long
>development, with minimal agitation.  I'm thinking along the lines of
>XTOL at 1+3 or higher dilutions (perhaps up to 1+10), using the normal
>inversion agitation for the first 30 seconds, and then just letting it
>sit there for perhaps 30-60 minutes without any agitation at all (at
>20C).
>
>Why?  Well, for one, I wouldn't have to be present all the time to
>shake the tank ;)  Also, there seem to be virtues in using diluted XTOL
>(higher film speed, less grain, smoother tonal range) from what I've
>read on the web.
>
>I remember reading about some other developer that was used without
>agitation for very long periods of time and just thought I'd ask if
>anyone has any experience of this.
>

>M.
>
>--
>Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
>HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
>Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
>E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58