Subject: [Leica] One small step......
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:01:39 +0100

Hithere LUG

I've been meaning to do this for years, and have been talking about it for
nearly as long - at last, I have a website!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/

Initially, it's most of the exhibition I currently have on in London, and a
couple of other odds and sods.
I've made no attempt to deliver high quality images, rather it's an attempt
to create an atmosphere that will download quickly enough for old computers
(like mine!). This process has made me realise that I am at heart a
photographer and printmaker with a distrust of the digital medium - getting
a more modern computer/modem, and a decent neg scanner at the end of '99
will probably change this opinion, but presently for me, the web is a
marvellous text medium on which pictures are more often an encumbrance than
an asset. Which, I suppose is why I've been buying good lenses and not
computer kit!

The websites of LUG members and the various threads on webby issues on the
list have been a real help, thanks to all.

It's funny how much crap people will put up with on TV and in other media
and then get cranky about the silly stuff (lenscaps, bickering, obsessive
cleaning etc) on the LUG, seemingly forgetting the considerable value of
this list. It is obvious to me that the LUG is full of people who are out
there doing it, they just don't feel the need to shout about it.

The next stage is to put up commercial work and other things that will be of
higher resolution and function as an online 'folio, but hell, you've got to
start somewhere!

Feedback most welcome, hope you enjoy it

Alex