Subject: Re: [Leica] compact camera.....point and shoot.....recommendations?
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:26:06 -0500

>For an experienced Leica user who wants a P/S with high quality glass,
>what do you all recommend?  Konica Hexar with 35/2 lens, Leica Minilux
>with 40/2.4 lens, or Contax G2 with 45/2 lens?  Which will provide the best
>image quality for slides, and which offers the most user control, like an M6?

Last June I had the same thoughts.  After thinking it over for awhile and
almost getting a Nikon 28TI I decided on the Contax G2.

Yes the camera is bigger, but I have the option of adding lenses if I
choose.  Has full manual override (Manual focusing is kinda a joke
though)  Very easy to lock AE lock.  Good AF. And the lenses are superb.
I currently have only the 35 and it produces great images.  Has built-in
motor of 4fps (Leica can't even do that with the R8!!)

One reason I decided on this camera is that being a working photographer
I have a very low tolerance for poor technical photos.  I can get equally
good photos compositionally speaking on a cheap Nikon P&S as I can on my
M6, but can not enlarge the cheap P&S photo very much.  Hence my decision
to get a good camera for this purpose. And I wanted a camera with AF
ruling out any Leica

I am now very glad I got the camera as it is the only camera my mom can
use to get photos of me playing with my daughter (the only way I ever get
photos of us together.)  I give her my EOS1n with it set up on full auto
(super point&shoot like this) and she can't get a decent photo to save
her life, with the G2 she gets very nice images...heck even my 2 1/2 year
old has made good photos with the G2.

For a flash I use a Metz 32z2 which works well, kinda big but plenty of
power.

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net