Subject: Re: [Leica] Best 50 mm LTM lens?
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:46:40 -0400

I don't have any experience with the Elmar, but I've recently been scanning
Kodachromes that I shot with the Summitar (the same one I stupidly sold to
Don Bledsoe), and I am astonished by the character and quality of the
images.  It's a blast to scan these things with the Nikon LS2000 into c.
30meg file and then to roam around in them in PhotoShop.  It's really
remarkable to see how well this lens performs.  I now use the Summicron 50.
 I wish that I'd kept the Summitar.

CHandos

At 06:47 PM 4/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I have just found a LTM Leica III (black) with an uncoated Elmar 50/3,5. In
>order to get best possible image quality, I wonder what 50 mm LTM lens you
>think is best. I mean earlier designs than the LTM Summicron 50.
>I am thinking of the red scale Elmar 50/3,5 or maybe the Summitar 50/2,0.
>Will I notice any difference at middle apertures?
>
>Thanks for any reply!
>
>Hans

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof. Hist and American Studies