Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 Shutter accuracy? Electronic options?
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:53:55 -0300

Dan:

Lots of people use their cameras in the -25 degree weather.  I photographed
some snowboard racing and some ski racing and one of the days it was about
- -20 celcius.  I was using an R6 with motor and remote battery pack.  Even
with the battery in under my jacket, the framing rate of the motor was a
bit slower than usual.  By mid day when the tempreature had warmed up, the
motor fired noticeably quicker.  I was also using my 400 APO 2.8 which
remained silky smooth in these cold conditions.  A sign of good build
quality and proper lubricants.

I think the cold weather ability of cameras has more to do with their
mechanicals than the batteries, particularily cameras that are totally
dependant on batteries such as a G2.  In these cold conditions, the
mechanisms get very stiff unless proper cold weather lubricants are used.
For example, the Leica focusing helicals are just as smooth when it is
cold.  Some other brand lenses get very stiff in the cold.  If you combine
this extra drag on the motors with decreased battery capacity in the cold,
you end up with cameras that do not function unless specifically designed
for thes temperatures.

I guess to get more to the point, if Leica designs the newer cameras for
the -25 celcius operating temperatue, it will work there.    This of course
is dependant on your batteries lasting, which will probably require a cold
weather external battery option that you can put under your coat.  I had my
R8 with me for the ski shots and although I did not used it much because of
the lack of motor, it worked perfectly and the slow framing rate of the
winder was no slower than it is in warm conditions.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/snowboard_racing.htm

Regards,

Robert