Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 07:41:31 -0500 (CDT)

Agreed.....EXCEPT:

I've preached for years that people not "obsess" on a speck
of dirt in a lens nor on a 1/1000 speed that's 1/650.....
however, if the shutter TRULY is 'wedging' at the higher
speeds, it WILL be a "picture" problem, not just nit-picking.
I'm proud of Wayne in that he has actually FOUND a significant
problem and doesn't appear to be JUST and "armchair equipment
reviewer".....

On my cameras, I aim for accuracy at 1/60, 1/125/, 1/250 (the
speeds I use most) and for EVENNESS of exposure at 1/1000  ---
not particularly accuracy of the TIME of the exposure...
then, I compensate a third of a stop on chromes, just ignore
it on negs....

A Leica M so adjusted will retain it's performance for many
years if it's used occasionally at those speeds, as well
as run through the slow speeds, which I do as "preventative"
maintenance...

Walt

On Sun, 18
Apr