Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 75'lux focusing
From: robsteve@ns.sympatico.ca (Robert Stevens)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:47:18 -0300

Mikiro and John:

Unless you are focusing on static objects, both you or your subject are
moving before you press the shutter.  Up close for head and shoulder
portraits, the slight movement of you or the subject, will put things out
of focus if shooting at 1.4.  I think Leica teaches  to get the focus and
then rather than fiddle with it some more, sway forward or backward to
maintain the focus when you press the shutter.  In other words, if the eye
no longer looks in focus, move your body a few inches one way or the other
until the rangfinder images coincide.

The problem I find is that the rangefinder patch is not in the part of the
frame where the eye is so that you must focus on the eye and then recompose
the image.  It is in the recomposing that the focus gets lost when either
the subject or you move.  In the case of a manual focus SLR, you can just
focus on the eye using any part of the groundglass and confirm focus
without recomposing.

Regards,

Robert

At 01:49 PM 4/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Do you focus and stop at first pass of lining up the image, or do you
"seesaw" as another person on the LUG stated as needed on the R system?
I'm not sure it makes a difference, but I thought this was discussed some
months ago.  Like Mikiro, I have trouble getting sharp images at f1.4,
mainly  when using the subject's  "forward eye" as the focus point.