Subject: Re: [Leica] Film speed (WAS London travel report)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:05:43 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:
snip
> For a change, try to shoot the Tri-X, the HP-5 and the Delta 100 at twice
> the nominal speed rating. Snip
> christer almqvist
>snip
This bugs the heck outa me and these guys aren't even telling you to do this.
They are, as you say later, pushing the idea of pushing. Using films at
higher than normal speeds because of the benefits of higher dilutions
and newer developers which produce real speed increases.
Nowhere do I read them talk about arbitrarily overexposing there negs at
twice the normal indicated speed "For a change" or for more concrete
reasons. We both know these are your words not there's but it's the
spirit which is my concern.
They talk about using certain fairly obscure developers which don't
provide full film speed. These developers are obscure because people are
not fond of not obtaining full film speed.
Film speed is not a creative option like using an effect filter over
your lens. It's based on the shadow densities your developing technique
is giving your negatives.
Mark Rabiner
developing technique = developer/dilution/agatation/temperature...waterbaths?