Subject: Re: [Leica] ROM
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:07:11 -0500

At 12:44 AM 4/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Could someone please tell me what the ROM on the R lenses stand for, and
>what the the SP on the R4sp means? Also, is there much difference
>between the early and current R 35 f2?

I communicates aperture and other info. to the camera. Not a big deal right
now, unless you use a flash with auto zoom. Could be useful in the future.
I'm not worrying about it right now.

The s tells you that it doesn't have shutter or program priority. P stands
for the later model that has the Marty Forscher bracketing device, bigger
rewind and other knobs,  and you can see the shutter speeds in the
viewfinder when shooting in manual. It's the best of the R4 line.

I don't remember if there is a lot of difference between the old and new 35
Summicrons. Both are great lenses. I would buy the later one for the
built-in hood and the 55mm filter size. They aren't that expensive
(relatively speaking).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch